The House of David

"dawnbreak in the west"

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Playstation 2 emulation with a Dualshock 3 pad

I have accumulated two Playstation gaming devices in this house: the PS2 I brought from Houston, and a PS3 gifted to me for housewarming in 2011. When I got the PS3, the PS2 games wouldn't play on it. So I was stuck. I never won any of the PS2 games I bought... kind of a waste. (In PS3 I at least got through the first Uncharted.)

Over the last two days I got the hankering to play God of War. I learnt there WAS a way... with an emulator, I can use this very PC. I might even be able to use a Playstation controller pad joystick thingie. I have two of those here, one for each PS. The PS2 controller wasn't able to plug into anything here but the PS3 controller has a USB cable; so I wondered about setting the one up with another.

First step was to install an emulator with the unwieldy title PCXS2, for Windows 64. Also needed was to rip the BIOS from the old PS2, which is a PITA, but needs to be done for legal reasons...

Next (rather, this can be done concurrently) the Dualshock 3 set of drivers - I went with ScpToolkit. This is to get Windows to read Sony's pad and to treat it - "wrap" it - as a Microsoft controller. I knew ScpToolkit worked when I pushed the fat button and the X-Box windows popped up.

(You will also need 7-zip, to unzip whatever .7z files appear along the way.)

Now to hook them up. This part is what I did today. Some manual steps are needed: C:\Program Files\Nefarius Software Solutions\ScpToolkit\LilyPad\LilyPad-Scp-r5875.dll has to go to C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.4.0\Plugins; C:\Program Files\Nefarius Software Solutions\ScpToolkit\XInput\x64\XInput1_3.dll has to go to the root C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.4.0.

Then set up the correct Lilypad. By trial and (mostly) error, I got:

Then, the configure screen:

The feedback I have for the PCXS2QIA devs is, there were a LOT of system crashes on my way here.

Anyway, what's important is to see "bindings" on Pad 1. XInput is the way to go, even if it's claiming not to be Xbox 360. That was why we needed a wrapper, folks!

To get God of War (or whatever) working, I recommend ripping the DVD onto your machine. CDVD -> ISO selector. If straight from the DVD, the emulator is just going to pick up the ".img" file from the DVD and treat it like the whole application. That will, er, not work. I used ImgBurn which can be had for free.

Next step, to tweak the graphix, for a more PCish experience: basically I followed Jethwani. I went with 1920 x 1080, 33% slow-motion adjust, took the "preset" off to reduce EE cyclerate and do mild VU cycle stealing. Also took Interlacing off the GSdx9 plugin emulator.

UPDATE 6/13: to beat the button-mash minigames, not least the first big hydra boss: set the controller onto a flat and stable surface, and use your index finger and not your thumb. Then pound that damn thing up and down like Kate Upton was growling encouragement at you to do it.


posted by Zimri on 18:55 | link | 0 comments

On this site




Sophia



Politics



Random crap

Powered By Blogger TM

Property of author; All Rights Reserved