The House of David

"dawnbreak in the west"

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Upload #130 - flooding the zone

Last weekend I had admitted I didn't know much about sura 71. It wasn't for lack of trying: last 7 November, by my records (obviously not noted on this blog), I had tried rather hard. I was going to argue that the sura merged suras 7's and 11's Noah with their Hud. But my links were weak, the argument got chaotic, and I didn't figure out why the sura had bothered. So I set the project aside.

Lately I have read Michael Lecker's excellent article about the statue "Wadd". He looked into Wadd in history and found it to be a Kalbite totem, where sura 71's other gods were Yemeni. But then I remembered, hey, the Kalb got retroactively assigned to Yemen too! Add the anti-Yazid hints in that sura and...

So here is "Overwhelming the Yemen". I have made other improvements elsewhere: "Qudsi", "Ararat Tax", "Iconoclast", and "Women".

Madrassa.

UPDATE 5/15: The bits of this "Yemen" project which deal in 11/71 are now in their own section. The links are still not as strong as I'd like, but that's how it goes when we only have 28 verses to work with.


posted by Zimri on 16:48 | link | 0 comments

On this site




Sophia



Politics



Random crap

Powered By Blogger TM

Property of author; All Rights Reserved