The House of David

"dawnbreak in the west"

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The origins of an anti-integration chant

I've been busy with stuff, and I don't want to be a George Martin who does politics instead of his damn job. That said... here's another political post dashed off in 15 minutes instead of doing my damn job. Sorry in advance.

I hear some fratbros chanted a chant. Here's the text:

There will never be a nigger at SAE
There will never be a nigger at SAE
You can hang him from a tree
But he’ll never sign with me
There will never be a nigger at SAE

As racist chants go, this one ranks among the worst - stylistically. It's hard even to know to what the tree / hanging refers; this interpretation quoted above (from Volokh) is most likely, according to Ace. Even then... if someone's been hanged, let's just say he's not in fit state to do Rush Week.

I'd say that a better version would sneer "you can hang ME from a tree". This would make the same point, with no overt threats; it also would have better assonance. I'm sensing "hadith" from this version they used. I think that it was composed in the 1940s, when civil-rights was really starting to gear up; and that it has been passed down to this generation.

UPDATE 10:45 PM: Mutawatir.


posted by Zimri on 19:03 | link | 0 comments

On this site




Sophia



Politics



Random crap

Powered By Blogger TM

Property of author; All Rights Reserved