The House of David

"dawnbreak in the west"

Saturday, February 07, 2015

Throne of Glass again

I'd been vague about exactly what revisions went into Throne of Glass last time. And since then the text has been - well, let's just say, volatile. So, some explanation would be appropriate, I think.

In the initial update: I added more evidence for 20 > 7 > 32 that I'd found in one of Bellamy's many articles about fixing the Qur'an. (This was an outgrowth of what I'd done to rebut Witztum.) I also figured out exactly WHY everyone got so angry with al-Hajjaj when he "killed the salat" - extrapolating from a Rubin article. I dug up another possible Abd al-Aziz-era (685-705) reference to another David / Uriah verse, here preserved by Ibn Abd al-Hakam; which, again, leaves me wondering about sura 38's construction. I learnt about the ghazwatu'l-Hind, which connect projects in Syria with raids into India.

As of 3-4 February: the taqiy(y)a is strictly defined as not simple "dissimulation", nor even such in God's sabîl. This defensive sense was, luckily, the sense in which I had used it; but I had left my definitions too open: and it seems I'd punted for this term when I did the glossary because it wasn't even there when I re-evaluated said glossary. In other Bellamy news I'd (finally) found the footnote, which I'd lost, wherein Bellamy describes the earliest basmala's. Simeon of the Olives is another - better - example of Abd al-Malik's favour to Miaphysitism in Christianity. I'm linking to "Muhkam" now that it's back, and to "Qudsi" now that it's left the slushpile. I took Robert Spencer off the bibliography, given that (I've found) this book doesn't cite him; but I did acknowledge his work in Acknowledgements because trolololo. Lastly I fixed up the index. Those Miaphysites needed some attention.

As of now: I found the Syriac base for Palmer's "God is great" quote and found that the Maronite Chronicler hadn't said exactly that. I corrected the "Rubin, page whatever" references to point to the relevant article - now that there are two no wait three Rubin articles in the bibliography. That third Rubin article goes to a general improvement of the book's understanding of sura 32.

So this edition, or set of editions, isn't DIFFERENT. It's not like when I was pulling whole swathes of text into appendices like in House of War or overhauling essays like in The Arabs and Their Qur'an. This edition is just BETTER.

UPDATE 2/7/2015: Bumped, because I had to yank it again. Back now.


posted by Zimri on 05:00 | link | 0 comments

On this site




Sophia



Politics



Random crap

Powered By Blogger TM

Property of author; All Rights Reserved