The House of David

"dawnbreak in the west"

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Motte, Bailey

I know I'm late, but here's Scott Alexander from last month. I figured I'd post it so that I can get access to the article, and to the link, for when I have need of it. (Like when I was discussing Pascal-Complete arguments a few years ago.)

The classic example will be the Christian insistence that the only reason they are persecuted is because they say "Jesus is Lord". How simple a thing! Likewise, the movie The Message wanted us to sympathise with the man who was tortured because he said "no god but Allah and Muhammad is His prophet". You might also try this link.

Thanks to Mr Alexander, one more rhetorical trick is unveiled.


posted by Zimri on 19:15 | link | 0 comments

On this site




Sophia



Politics



Random crap

Powered By Blogger TM

Property of author; All Rights Reserved